Sunday, January 16, 2005

Update on Bristol

Well, I'd expected to talk three times from the podium, but East Somerset Health's motion on the murder of Hadi Salih was ruled invalid on a technical reason, it wasn't okayed by a offical branch executive meeting, although most of the members of the branch exec were happy with it. Plymouth City withdrew their motion on Antisocial Behaviour Orders, which I would have spoken in opposition. So the only chance I had was to speak in support of an anti-privatisation motion.

A motion attacking the gradual privatisation in the NHS is not going to be controversial in a UNISON regional council of course so I didn't have to persuade anyone, but it was good to get a first experience of public speaking like that, in front of around 100 people including Dave Prentis himself.

I have to write a report on Council for our next Branch Executive which is on Thursday morning, so I'll post it on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment