Thursday, January 20, 2005

Policies not Personalities

Something I've been meaning to blog about since my visit to Regional Council on Saturday is the way that people subsistute personalities for policies in the way they speak.

There was no shortage of people speaking from the podium to have a pop at Government policy (even I did that) but I was one of only two people who didn't mention Tony Blair at all. Everyone else did, and I think that's a mistake.

I understand that in some cases "Blair" can be used as shorthand for "the actions of this Labour Government" but to give the impression that all that's wrong (from a UNISON point of view) with the Labour Government is all down to one man is fanciful.

It's the same mistake as the Left did in demonising Thatcher in the mid to late 80s, just because Major was in charge didn't make the Tory policies any less harmful to us.

I would much rather have Tony Blair as PM doing our policies, than Gordon Brown as PM doing everything Tony Blair's doing at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment