Thursday, March 17, 2005

How not to become an MP Part 1

From the Guardian today:

Can an ex-ambassador to Uzbekistan beat Jack Straw in the general election? Craig Murray launches his campaign

Erm, no he can't beat Jack Straw.

He apparently knows nothing at all about Blackburn.

After a frozen plod through the snow, I come to a mini-cab firm, and a very chirpy driver called Ajit. He explains that the Blackburn Rovers v Burnley FA Cup 5th round replay has just finished, the biggest event in Blackburn for a long time. The hotels will be full with supporters. He's right; I end up sleeping in the Preston Novotel.

and later...

This is one of Blackburn's most striking features. It has an astonishing number of ex-pubs. Some have been converted to other uses, but many more are derelict. I wonder why there were so many and what factors caused this cull. Something else I have yet to learn.

I don't know Blackburn, I've never stepped foot in the town, but I think the clue might be earlier in the article.

Blackburn's Muslim community is primarily Gujarati

So he has noticed that there's Muslims in town then? It seems to make sense that if the Muslim population of a town increases then average alcohol consumption might well go down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment