Thursday, November 25, 2004

An English Parliament?

In the wake of the massive rejection of the proposed North East Assembly there is an interesting discussion that I've been taking part in over at Campaign for an English Parliament.

I'm a unionist (with a small u), I'm half English and half Welsh, grew up in England and Wales, and went to university in Scotland. I am proud to be English, Welsh and British, often all at the same time, I support England in football, Wales in rugby and if England and Wales ever went their separate ways, I wouldn't know which one to pick.

For the record, here's what I would want to see.

English Parliament (based in the existing Houses of Parliament) House of Commons c.400 members, House of Shires 76 members (2 from each county) mirroring the existing US System.

Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish Parliaments as existing now.

Cornish Parliament, unicameral c.40-50 members

UK Parliament (based either in a new building in London or in York) House of Federation c.120 members based on population, House of Nations 30 members (6 appointed by each parliament).

No comments:

Post a Comment